Occasionally, trees need pruning to maintain their aesthetic value in beautifying the environs . However, looking for the perfect saw for such a purpose can be a tough task.
The various saw types out there are the primary reasons most hobbyists and woodcutters find it hard to decide.
But… What type of saw do you need to cut or trim tall trees? You need the best gas pole saw to tackle such tasks. A pole saw is a chainsaw attached to a long pole. It makes trimming tree branches much more effortless.
Typical saws or other cutting tools do not have the required pole length to reach the height to cut trees effectively. That's why you need the best gas pole saw for tree trimming.
My team and I have come up with the best options in the market that will suit your needs impeccably.
Table of Contents
- Quick Picks
- Review of the Best Gas Pole Saws for Convenient Tree Cuts
- Buying Guide
- Why Should You Choose a Gas Pole Saw?
- How to Use a Gas Pole Saw
- Safety Tips While Using a Gas Pole Saw
- How to Properly Maintain a Gas Pole Saw
- Final Verdict
Best Gas Pole Saw for Overall Cutting Performance - Maxtra Gas Pole Saw, 42.7cc 2-Cycle Powerful Chainsaw.
"Maxtra gas pole saw comes with a 42.7cc engine and an 8-inch cutting bar that can handle various tree branches, regardless of the thickness."
Best Gas Pole Saw for Mid-Sized Yards - Poulan Pro PR28PS 28cc 2-Cycle 8-Inch Pole Saw.
"This pole saw comes with the right cutting blade and engine ideal for cutting and trimming limbs."
Best Detachable Pole Saw - TrimmerPlus TPP720 8” Polesaw
"The TrimmerPlus comes with a detachable head and pole length that you can convert to a pole saw."
Best Lightweight Gas Pole Saw - Remington RM25PS Maverick 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Saw with 7-foot Extension Pole for Tree Trimming and Pruning.
"This saw is light and has no engine or motor that will make transporting it complicated."
Best Budget Gas Pole Saw - Proyama 26cc 5-in-1 Trimming Tool
"This gas pole saw is a great deal for the price. It comes with all the accessories for your trimming needs."
Review of the Best Gas Pole Saws for Convenient Tree Cuts
1. Maxtra Gas Pole Saw, 42.7cc 2-Cycle Powerful Chainsaw
If you want the best professional gas pole saw for managing large-sized yards, I recommend the Maxtra gas pole saw 42.7cc 2-cycle powerful chainsaw.
This chainsaw possesses a potent 42.7cc engine that's capable of handling thick tree branches in one pass. The saw's effectiveness is top-notch and one of the things I was impressed with.
Whether you want to cut branches, trim wood, or prune an orchard, this tool is well prepared to handle all that, thanks to its 10-inch bar. The saw also includes a shoulder strap to make cutting convenient.
In addition to the powerful engine, this gas tool comes with an extendable pole length that can reach up to 12 feet high, ideal for cutting tree limbs. This pole can effectively cut hard to reach spots in one pass.
The saw’s construction is outstanding, and it’s sturdily constructed to withstand wear and prolonged use. Plus, the ergonomic handle comes with anti-vibration that allows you to use the machine for an extended time.
What We Liked
- It comes with a large capacity fuel tank.
- Efficient in cutting
- Well-balanced during use
- Ergonomic handle
- Great price
What We Didn’t Like
- It’s heavy
- The included manual is not detailed.
2. Poulan Pro PR28PS 28cc 2-Cycle 8-Inch Pole Saw
Poulan Pro PR28PS is one of my top picks for a gas pole seen due to its powerful performance and great extension length.
One of the best things about this great saw is its starting option. Unlike some pole saws out there, starting the Poulan Pro is convenient. You won't have to struggle with starting the machine, especially if you are a beginner.
All you have to do to start the machine is prime, adjust the choke lever, and pull the rope. The engine starts at once, saving you the extra effort of starting it frequently.
What about the engine capacity?
The 28cc 2-cycle engine included in the gas pole saw is the ideal powerhouse you need to maintain your medium-sized yard. The machine is also fuel-efficient, thanks to the SureFire fuel delivery system.
Using the Poulan Pro to cut branches higher up won’t be a problem, as it comes with an 8-inch bar that you can extend three inches further up. Additionally, there’s a shoulder strap attached that helps balance the saw’s weight in your hands and shoulder for prolonged use.
What We Liked
- It’s effortless to start.
- Extensive pole
- The saw is highly versatile.
- Well-balanced and lightweight to use
- Possess the right engine for medium-sized yards
What We Didn’t Like
- Only suitable for light-duty tasks
- Adjusting the chain tensioning is complicated.
3. TrimmerPlus TPP720 8” Pole Saw
If you want a durable and powerful tool that’s reliable and easy to use, I recommend the TrimmerPlus TPP720 8” pole saw.
This pole saw is the right saw for pruning and trimming limbs, and if you want to reach difficult spots, you can count on it to get you there.
However, the most spectacular feature is its unique design. Unlike other pole saws that are fixed, this product comes with a detachable chainsaw head and an 11-feet telescopic pole. You can attach the chainsaw head to the pole, and it forms an efficient cutting tool.
With such a design, cutting is convenient, and you won't have any problem moving the pole saw because it has no engine or motor. The lack of an engine or motor makes this saw incredibly light.
Aside from that, the pole saw comes with an 8-inch bar and chain, ideal for trimming thin branches. It also includes an automatic oiler for consistent lubrication of the machine for better efficiency.
Above all, the saw includes a 2-year limited warranty, further asserting the product’s durability and reliability.
What We Liked
- It’s easy to assemble.
- Straightforward to use
- Lightweight and portable
- 2-year warranty
- Adjustable pole
- Lubricates automatically
What We Didn’t Like
- It can’t cut thick limbs.
4. Remington RM25PS Maverick 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Saw
Most gas pole saws are known to be large-sized and heavy . However, the Remington RM25PS Maverick 25cc 2-cycle gas saw is different and packs useful features into his small-sized body.
The pole saw is relatively one of the lightest pole saws I've ever tested. Despite its compact and lightweight design, it possesses enough power to cut and trim your tree branches effectively, thanks to the 25cc engine.
Due to its lightweight and compact design, carrying this saw around won't be a burden; even the extended pole won't add to the total weight. You can work with the saw in whatever capacity.
The tool comes with a 7-foot extension pole that can cut limbs and branches up to 12 feet high. With this pole, you can cut hard-to-reach areas smoothly.
RM25PS also comes with an automatic oiler to enhance the blade's functionality. You don't have to worry about lubricating the chain bar during use, which speaks convenience.
What We Liked
- Quick to start
- Easy to maintain
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to carry around
- It includes a long extensive pole for hard to reach spots.
What We Didn’t Like
- Oil seeps from the bar and chain when the saw isn’t in use.
5. Proyama 26cc 5-in-1 Trimming Tool
This cutting tool comes with all the accessories, including five attachments you need to maintain your garden with no hassle.
Proyama 26cc 5-in1 Trimming tool is the best gas pole saw for the money when you consider what's included in the package and its features. It has a powerful 26cc engine and a 12-inch cutting blade, ideal for handling any light trimming tasks.
This lightweight pole saw is EPA certified, meaning that the fuel consumption is low, resulting in fewer carbon emissions.
The gas saw comes with an extendable pole length that can cut through tree limbs farther up. You can extend the pole saw up to 11.4ft, which is significantly high.
This saw is one of the safest to use, despite its affordable price. Should you get exhausted, the cutting tool includes an emergency stop button that lets you shut down the machine.
To further improve the user’s safety, this tool comes with a throttle lockout that you can press to prevent hazards.
Overall, this gas pole saw’s performance is impressive, despite the low-price tag.
What We Liked
- EPA certified
- Low vibration levels
- Includes multiple accessories
- Easy to assemble
- Lightweight design
What We Didn’t Like
- The included manual is worthless.
- It’s not designed for heavy-duty tasks.
Buying the best gas pole saw isn't about cashing on the fanciest one. It's about selecting the right one that suits your needs and meets all requirements.
This guide will help you make a more informed decision regarding a product's purchase.
Gas pole saws are incredibly loud because of the fuel-powered big engine they possess. The bigger the engine, the more noise that it produces.
It would be best if you went for a pole saw that isn't too loud. Pole saws that are extremely loud can damage the eardrums and jeopardize your safety and the safety of the environment.
The material used in constructing a gas pole saw affects the maneuverability and overall weight.
Heavy materials may provide better durability and ruggedness than light materials but can affect the saw's movement when lifting it upright. I suggest you choose a saw that constructed with the best material while being lightweight and portable.
Getting a pole saw with a shoulder strap is highly beneficial. Shoulder straps help distribute the load and the machine's weight evenly on your shoulder and hands. This prevents your hands from getting exhausted quickly and enables you to work longer.
A gas power tool that isn't EPA certified is not ideal for use. A gas pole saw that's EPA certified (Environmental Protection Agency) means it exceeds all safety standards as labeled by the agency. It explains that the saw won't negatively impact human safety and the environment.
Gas pole saws differ in engine power and efficiency. The power of a saw is measured by the engine's combustion, denoted by CC. Some saws come with a 25.4 cc engine, while others have a more robust 40 cc engine.
The higher the engine power, the more efficient it is in cutting. A 25cc engine is usually enough for maintaining a yard, except if you’re a professional tree cutter.
The pole length is a crucial factor when buying a gas pole saw. Pole saws with adjustable heights allow you to cut branches that are higher up faster and more efficiently. It's best to choose the saw with multiple pole length that fits your cutting needs.
A saw’s bar length determines its cutting thickness. The longer the bar length, the better it can cut thicker tree branches.
Bar lengths are usually in the range of six to twelve inches, so choose the one that best fits your gardening needs.
Pole Saw Weight and Balance
The saw's weight is crucial to how long you can hold it without feeling fatigued. If it's too heavy, getting the job done will be challenging, and there will be no stability.
When buying a gas pole, consider its weight and the person's physical attributes going to use it. The saw must be lightweight and balanced to make cutting easier.
Weight also affects the saw's maneuverability. A cumbersome saw with poor design will make it challenging to reach tight places between branches.
A somewhat lightweight chainsaw with an ergonomic design and adjustable pole length will offer better maneuverability and put the saw in the right position to cut better.
When buying a gas pole, consider the value it will offer. If you’re looking for a saw to maintain your medium-sized yard, going for the one with the most powerful engine is not ideal.
It's best to opt for ones with the right features that will perform well according to your needs.
Most gas pole saws are expensive. However, they all fall within a price range. Before buying, you should determine what your budget is, and if the saw fits your cutting needs.
A saw’s pole length that can be extended will make cutting more convenient. When buying a saw pole, consider getting the one with the right extension length.
A product with a good warranty will last longer than those without one. Consider buying a pole saw with a lengthy warranty for long-lasting use.
Several brands manufacture gas pole saw. However, not all brands are reliable.
Buying a pole saw designed by a reliable and trusted brand is what you should consider. That way, you are sure of durability and performance.
Indulging in good maintenance practices will prolong the pole saw’s lifespan. Choosing a pole saw that’s easy and inexpensive to maintain will last long enough.
Power to Weight Ratio
Comparatively, gas pole saws are the heaviest due to their engine. This makes it tough to work with extensively.
When selecting a gas pole saw, ensure it comes with the right power to weight ratio so that your hands don't get weary when using the saw for an extended period.
Getting a pole saw with a fair amount of safety features like anti-kickback will safeguard the user from experiencing blade jumps. It's essential to check the safety features incorporated into a pole saw before purchasing.
Gas pole saws possess a 2-cycle or 4-cycle engine . 2-cycle means you can mix both oil and gasoline in the same fuel tank. However, getting the right mix ratio is complex. 4-cycle have separate tanks for oil and gasoline.
4-cycle saws are more powerful but aren't as fuel-efficient as 2-cycle, which is a significant factor when selecting your gas pole saw.
Bar and Chain
A gas pole saw that you could fully adjust its bar and chain will suit various cutting duties. Thankfully, you can adjust the bar and chain of all pole saws in this review.
Links and Teeth
A saw with several teeth is highly efficient and makes cutting smoother and clean. I recommend getting a saw with 20 TPI (teeth per inch).
Working height refers to the pole length, your height, and arm length. Some manufacturers confuse buyers with this term, thereby inflating the overall pole's length.
It's best you verify the actual pole length to determine the working height and the pole's reach.
Some pole saws permit you to remove or detach the head from the chainsaw, while others don't. Such chainsaws can quickly transform from a pole saw into a hand portable saw. These saws are called 2-in-1 and are highly versatile, as you can use them for other cutting tasks.
Gas pole saws come in various sizes cutting lengths. Choose the one that you can handle best and fits your cutting needs perfectly.
Gas pole saws are powerful, and as a result, they tend to create so many vibrations. Pole saws with an anti-vibration handle make it more convenient to use the saw in the long run than those without the feature.
Two types of oiler types exist in a gas pole saw - automatic oilers and manual oilers.
Automatic oilers lubricate the machine without any human help. Most gas pole saws come with this oiler type.
Manual oilers, on the other hand, don't lubricate the machine automatically. The user presses a specific button to lubricate the device during use.
This is a crucial factor when selecting a pole saw. The material used in constructing the saw improves durability significantly.
A pole saw made with heavy-duty materials will withstand wear and last longer than one made with light materials.
Since most gas pole saws are 2-cycle, they are fuel-economical. However, some are more fuel-efficient than others. So you need to factor in fuel efficiency while in the market for a pole saw.
Gas pole saws use fuel as their power source, and using it will release carbon into the environment. Therefore, you should purchase a gas pole saw that's more eco-friendly with low-level carbon emissions, probably those with EPA certifications.
A portable pole saw will prune branches seamlessly and more efficiently than a cumbersome one. Buying a lightweight model will save you some stress and aid in finishing your job faster.
Why Should You Choose a Gas Pole Saw?
Investing in a gas pole saw has numerous benefits. If performance and efficiency are your top priorities, getting a gas pole saw would be the ideal solution.
Below are the reasons you should consider buying a gas pole saw.
- Compared to other pole saws like electric and cordless, gas pole saws have consistent power delivery.
- You can use them more extensively, and they are incredibly versatile. It can cut thicker tree branches, be used on any yard size, cut the wood into thin pieces, etc.
- They are more powerful and completes tasks faster than any other pole saw type. They come with the necessary power and engine capacity to tackle any cutting duties.
- Gas pole saws are more comfortable to fill up than opting for cordless pole saws that require charging the battery. Charging can take hours to get the saw full.
- Unlike corded electric pole saws, gas pole saws are more convenient to move about. You don't need to plug them into an outlet before using them, which is highly valuable.
- They are highly durable and can withstand wear and rigorous use because they are made with heavy-duty materials.
- Gas pole saws come with long blade lengths that make them ideal for handling any woodcutting task.
How to Use a Gas Pole Saw
Generally, gas pole saws are straightforward to use, provided you understand how they operate. Below are some tips that you need to know how to use a gas pole saw.
- Ensure your work area is devoid of debris and anything that could hinder or affect the cutting process. It has to be clean, free from people to avoid any hazard, such as falling branches hitting them.
- Put some protective gear on, such as eyeglasses, gloves, coveralls, and hearing protection to minimize the noise levels.
- Determine what or where you are going to cut. Examine the height of what you plan to cut and extend the pole so that it reaches the exact length.
- The next thing is to start. Shake the primer or press the fuel pump a few times to prepare the saw for a quick start.
- Pull the choke lever back to allow air to mix with the fuel in the tank to facilitate starting.
- Stand in the right spot and maintain a steady position. Grasp the saw properly and pull the starting rope until the engine jerks. Sometimes, you'll need to pull the rope more than once, especially if it's been long since you last used it.
- Immediately the engine starts, release the throttle trigger by pressing it. You can press it multiple times to warm the engine up and increase its speed but don't use the full speed yet. Start at a slow pace at first.
- Now that the engine has fully started, carefully adjust the pole saw to the desired cutting angle. If the pole is at the right length, move upwards with both hands. However, you need to make sure that you have the saw’s weight under control before making any cut.
- I advise that you start from the top of the branch and then work your way down. Now, you can increase the speed of your throttle.
- Always maintain a balanced posture and keep your hands steady.
- Once you are done with cutting a particular side, bring it down gently and lose the throttle.
- Adjust the chain and fire the throttle to continue cutting other tree branches. After the units hit the ground, clear them to keep the work area free to aid in your movement.
Note that the steps above generally describe how to use a gas pole saw. Some brands may have specific instructions regarding how to use their products. You must read up their accompanying manuals to fully understand how to operate the saw.
Safety Tips While Using a Gas Pole Saw
When using a gas pole saw, it would be best to abide by some safety procedures. Misusing them may result in injuries and possibly the death of the user.
Before using a gas pole saw, ensure you go through the manufacturer’s manual, as some of the information there may be peculiar to a particular model and type modus operandi.
Here are some safety tips you must have at the back of your mind while using a gas pole saw.
- Wear safety pieces of equipment. You must wear gears like eyeglasses, gloves, ear protectors, safety boots, and helmets to protect you adequately from injuries and any falls.
- You may likely experience kickbacks when using the chainsaw. Kickbacks occur when the blade jumps out of the bar and chain. To prevent this from happening, use the best chain blades with anti-kickback features, and check for possible blade damages.
- Be conscious of your environment, especially where you are standing while cutting. Cutting branches require that you always look up most times. However, you need to check where you are occasionally standing to avoid getting tipped over caught up in a bush.
- Not all gas pole saws' lengths can be adjusted, so you need to know this. However, there are others that you can extend to reasonable heights, but you should know that the higher the pole, the heavier it becomes, and the more it gets difficult to control. You need to control the pole at all times, which means knowing when to take a break to recover before continuing.
- Cut slowly but steady. Don't rush while cutting because the blade can get stuck while cutting, and the cuts won't be the smoothest of all. Cut from top to bottom and always remove the fallen tree branches for more effortless movement.
- Cut during the day and in a bright light environment only. Most gas pole saws don’t come with LEDs that allows one to use a saw in low light or night time.
- Avoid using a pole saw to cut wet trees, as they can be exceptionally slippery. This can affect the pole saw’s blade cutting prowess and maximize the chances of injuries.
- Cut a branch at a time and a slow, steady pace. Limbs, especially the thin ones, can fall unpredictably. You shouldn't rush in cutting more than one at a time or trying to cut a branch in one pass. It can cause injuries or inflict severe damages.
- Call for professional help when cutting is getting more dangerous or risky. For instance, if the part of the branch you want to trim is near power lines or relatively thicker than what the blade can handle, calling an expert is the safest thing to do.
How to Properly Maintain a Gas Pole Saw
A machine’s durability depends on how it’s treated. Engaging in proper maintenance practices will elongate the saw’s lifespan, and you will be able to enjoy using the saw for a very long time. Plus, it maintains the saw’s cutting efficiency.
Maintaining a gas pole saw is not difficult. You don’t need to allocate so much of your time and energy to do it. Consistency is key to maintaining a pole saw adequately.
Here is how to properly maintain a gas pole saw for long-lasting use.
- Keep the machine clean after a job. Remove all the debris and dirt accumulated on the blade, chain bar, and tensioning system by brushing them off with a metal brush. This helps to improve the lifespan of the saw and maintain its cutting prowess.
- Check the bolts and screws before and after using the gas pole saw. If you notice any screw or bolt missing, I advise that you don't operate the machine as you may be risking your safety. Rather, replace all the bolts and screws immediately.
- If the chainsaw's blade gets blunt, replace it as soon as possible. Always maintain a sharp chain blade and teeth for super precise and clean cuts .
- Empty the fuel tank when the saw isn't in use and store it in a dry place.
- Check for fuel and oil leaks regularly. If there are, replace them with the correct parts. You need the fuel and oil tank to work at an optimum level to improve efficiency and lower carbon emissions.
- Keep the fuel, oil, and air filters clean. If you can’t clean it after every use, clean it occasionally and remember to check for any faults.
- Always keep an eye on the starter rope, as it's a very prominent part of a gas pole saw. Check if the rope is wearing off or not so that you can replace it on time to prevent accidents.
- Keep the spark plug clean as well. It quickly gets dirty, especially when the saw is used frequently.
- Keep the tool out of the reach of children and pets.
Maintaining a yard is easy and more fun with the right tool. Hence, getting the best gas pole saw is imperative.
With this review, I’m confident that choosing an ideal gas pole saw won’t be a challenge, as it covers all regarding buying a high-performance gas pole saw.
My top choice gas pole saw is the Maxtra Gas Pole Saw, 42.7cc 2-Cycle Powerful Chainsaw.
This gas pole saw is highly efficient and capable of trimming branches comfortably. It comes with an extensive bar length that makes cutting thick limbs straightforward.
Do you want the best gas pole saw? Click here to purchase one!