In this modern era of electric and gas saw, hand pruner is still a cult classic.
Have you ever wondered why?
They’ve been around for hundreds of years witness for their efficiency. Features like easy to operate and low cost makes it a perfect choice for the homeowner who only got a couple of branches to trim.
But here is the unsexy part of hand saws:
It requires a hell amount of physical effort. But still, when it comes to gripping, full control over the tool, hand saws are best. Today we will gonna talk about some best manual pole saw those are stand out in a crowd for their solid performance.
Table of Contents
- Quick Picks: What is the Best Manual Pole Saw?
- Why Should You Choose A Manual Pole Saw?
- What to Look for When Buying a Handy Manual Pole Saw?
- 5 Best Manual Pole Saw and Pruners That Won’t Break Your Bank
- How to Use a Manual Pole Saw? (Step by Step Guide)
- Precautions When Using A Manual Pole Saw: (Safety Tips)
- The Bottom Line…….
Quick Picks: What is the Best Manual Pole Saw?
So, What Exactly Is A Manual Pole Saw?
A manual pole saw is a powerless machine which means it has no engine.
So, you may have a question on how to operate it? Well, although there lies no engine attached, the users are the primary source of power more precisely. Besides, you need to operate this machine manually.
How do you use a manual pole saw?
Here a saw is attached to its end of the long pole that helps to trim the tree. Interestingly, without using a ladder, you can prune or trim tree limbs. This friendly tool has two sections, like:-
- Blades: Usually, you will find two kinds of the blade, one is little pruner and long saw with a curved blade. The Little primer is suitable to cut small branches, and you need to take help from a rope to cut.
- Pole: You can use both long or short pole to catch the tree’s height that you want to cut.
Why Should You Choose A Manual Pole Saw?
1. Installation is super easy:
Though it is manual and has no machine, you don’t need to make extra effort to set the parts. Interestingly, you will find some manual pole saws that allow you to use after buying, and here you don’t need to install and assemble anything.
2. No need to spend a huge amount:
Do you have a budget deficit or have financial trouble, but you need a pole saw? If so, you can easily buy the manual because you can get it without spending much.
3. User Friendly for the beginner:
If you wish to use a pole saw, but you are new to using it, you can try the manual one. Though it has no engine, battery, or electric connection, you don’t need to fear an accident or injuries.
4. Extended Reach:
A manual pole saw allows you to reach the higher branches like 20+ ft. High.
5. Don’t have to Dependent on Weather:
If you buy a manual pole saw, the weather doesn’t create any problems during use.
6. Low maintainance & Servicing:
Though the manual pole saw has no electrical machine or battery, it doesn’t need any routine service.
7. Energy Efficient and Environment-Friendly:
When you use a gas pole saw, or electric-powered pole saw, you may see how much fuel or electricity it consumes. It not only wastes money but also pollutes the environment by emitting black smoke (gas pole saw).
Whereas a manual pole saw requires no power or fuel to operate, it is both energy-efficient and environment-friendly.
What to Look for When Buying a Handy Manual Pole Saw?
Well, we already introduced you to the manual pole saw’s short description. So, let’s move on to some necessary discussion on what features you may look for while buying a manual pole saw.
On average, a manual pole saw charges $95 to $150, so it is wise to survey before investing here. Therefore, your spending will give you a fruitful outcome.
It is important to check because while a power saw lets you cut without manual force, you need to depend on your strength to trim by the manual pole saw.
Moreover, you need to hold it and ensure proper balance to cut or trim the tree limbs. Ideally, you may try an aluminium shaft that’s weight usually is not more than 6 pounds.
Basically, it depends on your need like you can buy either a simple or a two-in-one tool. Here the two-in-one tool allows you to turn into a pole tree pruner or handheld saw.
Height and Reach of Pole
Sometimes, you may need to cut a tall tree’s limb, and here you don’t need a ladder to cut. So, by taking all those under consideration, height is an important feature to consider.
When you look for the standard or the ideal height for the pole, then go to pick that is about 7 feet but is extendable up to 14 feet.
Although there is no standard of length, it will give you both the control of a shorter pole and the reach of a longer one.
Pole length and material
The high-quality pole saws ensure fiberglass or aluminum construction, and those materials will ensure both the lightweight and sturdy of the pole saw.
Saw blade length
Though your main task needs to complete through the blade, you should give your main focus herein. Ideally, the market-leading pole saw has steel blades, and its height is enough to cut tree branches of at least 5 inches in diameter.
The saw blade should be treated with anti-rust and anti-corrosive agents; without those, you may have to change the pole saw season after season.
However, high-carbon SK5 steel is a common material that you will see in the pole saw’s blade construction.
Ideally, the top-line manual pole saw comes with user-friendly features where the pole’s weight distribution and sturdiness allow you to cut high branches easily. Also, getting the best one will enable you to extend quickly based on your work.
5 Best Manual Pole Saw and Pruners That Won’t Break Your Bank
Energy efficiency to simple operation- there are a million reasons to fall in fall with hand pruners.
Here are our top 5 reviews of Best Manual Pole Saw for the money which is completely free from the dangers of a pruner.
1. Notch 40207 18’ Pole Saw Set with 15” Blade
- Professional interlocking fiberglass poles used by professional tree care companies in the US along with home owners
- Set includes (3) 6 ft fiberglass poles & 15" heavy duty double thick blade
- Rust resistant chrome plating and impulse hardened teeth hold sharpness on blade edges longer
- Fast pull-cutting tooth design and hook on saw head helps pull down loose limbs
- WARNING! Poles are not for use around energized lines. Hollow poles have the capacity to retain moisture and should be considered "Conductive of Electricity"
Imagine how it could be if you get full control over your trimming process.
Notch pole saw is such a tool that will make your dream comes true. Though designed for homeowners, this power tool is more than enough to meet the demand for professional tree care companies.
Ergonomically designed saw paired up with pull-cutting tooth design, this pole saw is a solid performer when it comes to flawless cut.
But the craziest part is:
There is a hook on the trimmer’s head. What’s so special about it? This hand pole saw helps you in pulling down loose limbs effortlessly. And the price is also pretty reasonable. Such a lifesaver hand tool for the beginner’s and homeowner who can’t afford the extra bucks to caretake of the lawn or backyard!
The saw seems sturdy and locks into place securely. That’s obviously a great advantage. But the best part, the poles won’t loose while you pruning.
Pretty cool, isn’t it?
We have to admit one thing for sure; it’s the best compact package we came across. Why? Just look at the list what are the things the set includes
- 6 ft fiberglass poles (3)
- Heavy-duty double thick blade (15″)
So far, so good! As this tool made with impulse-hardening teeth, you can expect the stuff will stay sharper for longer. We can assure, this impulse method is way better than conventional blades. Apart from these, Rust-resistant chrome plating allows you to work even in tough condition.
What we liked
- Quite lightweight
- Interlocking Fiber Poles
- Heavy-duty double thick blade
What we didn’t like
- No manual instruction included
2. Silky 179-39 Hayauchi Telescopic Pole Saw
No matter whether you aim for pruning arborist & forestry or regular trim job of lawn & garden, this excellent manual saw from Silky store won’t disappoint you.
Can this be true?
We tested and got a tremendous result, such a versatile extendable pole saws in this price range. This telescoping pole saw comes with 3-extension, which can be easily extended to 21 feet.
Good for you.
Worried about quality? From Ono region of Japan, sikly saws are cult classic for its consistently top graded Japanese steel with the expertise of finest craftsman.
Now let’s talk about the material.
An aluminum pole is the symbol of strength and durability. For industrial or at-home use, Hayauchi is more than enough for taking care of the trimming, pruning, orchard, or even park maintenance.
What really surprising, we tried this manual tree saw for palms and a few nut-bearing trees. And guess what? The result just amazed us- flawless cut within a blink.
Here is the unique part of the saw:
It’s obviously the curved blade. The 15-2/5-inch blade features silky’s patented 4-RETSUME Technology. This is also known as Four Rows of Teeth which makes it perfect for toughest pruning jobs!
That’s not all…….
The blade can also be adjusted to 2 different angles. That means you can set it as lower or higher according to your need. One definite advantage is the included custom scabbard. In the meantime, the Sharpened hook tips are great for pulling suckers. This gives you the confidence to go for full strokes without the tension of getting stuck in the tree.
But first warning: Always wear a hard hat and eye protection while pruning. Otherwise, fatal injury can happen anytime.
What we liked
- Positive locking adjustability
- Quick removable saw head
- Non-slip functionality
What we didn’t like
- Unfortunately quite heavy
3. Fiskars 393981-1001 502999 14 Inch Extend Tree Pruner
- Easily cut high branches with a sturdy tree trimming system that extends 14 feet and features Power-Lever technology for up to 2X more power
- Includes a precision-ground steel pruner for cutting branches up to 1-1/8 inch thick and a 15 inch WoodZig saw for removing larger branches
- Oval-shaped fiberglass poles greatly reduce flex, allow you to control the cut direction and fit the natural shape of your hand
- Secure double locking system ensures the extended pole stays put. Maintenance : Clean with mild detergent. Oil pivot points for smooth operation
- Full lifetime warranty
Reach new heights with Fiskar tree pruner.
You heard that right.
Get all the reach effortlessly with Fiskar power monster designed to cut back high, hard-to-reach branches quickly and easily – no tree service, no ladder, no chainsaw. With the Extended 14′ length, this tool gives the confidence to a homeowner needed to go for big trees.
But wait – there’s more.
A smart oval-shaped pole remarkably minimizes flex during extension as well as give better control cut direction. Thus, the two-in-one tree trimming system allows you to go for large, giant branches.
Thanks to the Power-Lever technology which ensure power during all type of trimming job. One thing is for sure; this is good enough for most of the trimming stuff.
Want to try thicker branches?
For this, you have to call on the power of the powerful 15 inches WoodZig saw. Most importantly, the tool is designed in such a way so that it easily fits the natural shape of your hand.
An advanced double-locking system gives an excellent blend of a flip-lock and spring button lock. In a word, you are getting Superior Locks and security while trimming.
Now let’s talk about maintenance.
It’s super simple actually. You can clean the tool with any mild detergent. Another great hack for smooth operation is oil pivot points regularly.
What we liked
- 2X more power
- Controllable Reach
- Low-friction coating
What we didn’t like
- Gaining leverage is a real pain
4. Jameson LS-6PKG-6 LS-Series Landscaper Pole Saw Kit
- Versatile 3 pole system for trimming at a variety of heights
- Low profile head maneuvers through dense foliage
- Aluminum ferrules with external leaf spring locking button
- 16-inch Barracuda Tri-cut saw blade for quicker, cleaner cuts
- Includes a 6-foot base pole, 6-foot extension pole and a 6-foot extension pole with saw head for 18 feet of reach
If you prefer to have a tool which can trim at a variety of heights this Jameson pole saw kit is for you. Built to last, every Jameson tools are designed for easy handling, with pretty sharp-bladed to cut thick branches quicker than ever.
No doubt about it.
LS-Series pruners are the most popular product line of Jameson, and that’s for a good reason. Versatile 3 pole system with 18 feet of reach means you’ll find just the tree pruner you are looking to get the job done.
And you know what?
This tool comes with everything you need to finish a flawless trimming session. The kit includes a base pole, an extension pole and an extension pole with saw head and each of the accessories are 6-foot in length.
But the features that impress us most, FG-6PKG-1 Manual Tree Pruner can easily be extended the range from 12 feet to 18 feet or more, which means it covers up both tiny branches and large stubborn branch.
Let us say the fact straight:
The Jameson FG-Series Manual trimmers are not for the entry-level homeowner who doesn’t have much knowledge about professional tool.
Low profile head design to easily move through dense foliage while the impressive hook handy for pulling loose limbs. Apart from these, it features a Tri-cut edge for a flawless cut.
What we liked
- Extremely durable
- Extra security by the external leaf spring locking button
- Versatile 3 pole system
What we didn’t like
- The blade seems a bit flimsy
5. Milliard 6-16 Foot Extendable Tree Pruner/Pole Saw
- Extra Long Extension – pole extends to a towering 16 feet high, so you can effectively reach all those branches that used to be too high up to take care of.
- Smooth Cutting – the pruning head can snip branches up to 1.25” thick. The 14” long saw blade is made from 1.2mm thick high-carbon SK5 steel and sharpened on 3 sides for the smoothest of cuts.
- Comfortable Use – pole is made from high grade fiberglass making it lightweight and easy to handle, but still strong and durable to last you through years of use. The foam at the handle provides a soft surface to grip the pole with.
- Pully System - the double tackle compound pulley system is there to helps you cut through thick branches with the least effort on your part
- Real Service – when you purchase Milliard, you can relax knowing you have a dedicated team of real people ready to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. We are known for our 5-star customer service and are happy to help you with anything you may need.
Cuts like a Knife through Butter!
Yes, that’s the first impression when we tested it. By investing less than 150$ on this Milliard pruner, you can relax knowing that you got something which worth every penny.
In most of the cases, hand saws are pretty challenging to manage as well as operate. But this Milliard tree pruner has broken the stereotype, super simple that even a toddler can operate it.
That’s not the only reason it’s unique; this hand pruner is made from high-grade fiberglass. As a result, it’s lightweight and mad comfortable to handle. Towering 16 feet high, this unit is quite useful in reach all those high-end branches.
Have to trim a good chunk of trees?
No worry, the foam at the handle ensure soft grip so that you can hold the saw for a longer period of time. We tested on an oak tree and found out it can go deep up to 1.25” thick.
The compound pulley system is so good that it cut through thick branches in minimum effort. That means you can work with comfort and grace. The non-stick coating blade is not only lightweight but handy in maintain the saw easily.
We all know Sharp blades make cutting easier, and that’s the beauty of this Milliard manual saw. A large 1.25-inch aperture allows you to target bigger branches. The power is in your hands, go for whatever you want.
What we liked
- Easy to control
- Effortless maintenance
- Adjustable Handle
What we didn’t like
- The other extension seems very wobbly
How to Use a Manual Pole Saw? (Step by Step Guide)
Let’s see how you can use your pole saw to trim or prune the trees. Steps to follow to use a pole saw:
Step 1: Clear the area
At first, you have to clear the area like clear people and property that are supposed to damage from where you want to trim.
Step 2: Select the tree
Now, choose the tree that you want to trim or cut the branches.
Step 3: Cut the lower branches
After selecting the tree, then go for cutting the lower brunches at first. This will help you cut the upper branches as well.
Step 4: Ensure the pole saw is on the right position
Now, you need to fix your position correctly because it will help avoid injury and better cutting. You may ensure the position of the pole saw at the chest level and try to apply the angle cutting method.
Step 5: Talk to the expert for proper adjustment
Naturally, the right position will help in the perfect cutting. So, to get the proper adjustment, you need to consult with the machine manufacturer.
Step 6: Use both your hands to grab the pole saw
Now, use both your hands to grab the pole saw so that you can correctly move the machine to cut. You also need to ensure a comfortable position to hold the weight and move the blade freely, so take time to adjust it.
Step 7: Start cutting
After finding the comfortable feelings, you may start cutting, and the first step should be slow and controlled. Here the full-speed cutting may result in slipping the blade around and making the cutting process harder.
If you think the saw may drop, you need to stop cutting instantly and reposition the edge then continue cutting.
Step 8: Examine the saw and remove the cutting branches
Once you have done the cutting session, now examine the saw and then clean it if needed. Afterward, clean the area by removing the cutting branches and limbs.
Precautions When Using A Manual Pole Saw: (Safety Tips)
And that’s why; we enlist some of the safety issues that you should remember to avoid injuries.
- First and foremost, ensure wearing the right chainsaw protective gear, including gloves, eye protection, helmet or hard hat, snug-fitting clothes, and boots.
- Now, examine whether your pole saw’s chain has been properly oiled; if not, make sure before each cut.
- Importantly, you need to do the cutting session during the daytime because it is easy to locate the exact cutting area.
- Also, try to avoid rainy or wet conditions, and it must follow if you have an electric pole saw.
- Always try to cut one branch at a time and don’t try to prune in the same pass.
- Keep in mind that, before starting on the next cut, removes the current fallen branch.
- If you find the branches are thicker than 8 inches, try to contact a professional to cut them.
The Bottom Line…….
Before wrapping up this best tree pruner and manual pole saw reviews, we can say something with the full confidence-a manual pole saw is more effective on trimming or pruning a few trees of the small gardens. In contrast, the powered pole saw offers better service in the large garden where there are many trees.
But keep in mind:
As it relates to cutting, you need to take proper precautions before doing work with it. So, it would help if you follow the safety tips before starting work with the pole saw.
- Pole Saw vs Pole Pruner – What Are The Similarities And Differences?
- How to Maintain Your Pole Saw for Long-Lasting Performance?
- How to Restring a Pole Saw without Any Hassle?
- 6 Types of Pole Saws and Their Uses to Make Your Home Stand Out
- 10 Best Cordless Pole Saw: Great Options for Optimal Convenience and Cutting Efficiency